Klapmuts 132kV/11kV Substation
OptiPower was responsible for the full turn-key construction of 132kV/11kV Klapmuts Substation.
This involved the following work.
- Cleared 650m2 vegetation and discarded at approved dumping site.
- Cut 195m3 of topsoil and discarded at approved dumping site.
- Import and place 100m3 G6 material.
- Import, place and compact 100m3 G5 material to 93% MOD AASHTO MOD at OMC.
- Cleared 12500m² vegetation and discarded at approved dumping site.
- Cut to spoil 23950m³ in situ soil and discarded at approved dumping site.
- Roadbed preparation. Ripped 100m³ in situ soil and compacted to 90% MOD AASHTO MOD at 2% OMC.
- Replaced 32750m³ in-situ ground with G5 quality ground and compacted in 150mm layers to 93% MOD AASHTO at OMC.
- Levelling 11310m² of platform with 1:150 slope.
- Supplied and installed 300m precast channel edge curb.(SABS927 Figure 13)
- Imported and compacted 125m³ G4 material surface layer to 95% MOD AASHTO with a UCS of 5Mpa.
- Supplied and installed 8off 160mm x 6m PVC pipes 1m under yard road, 300mm apart.
- Supplied and installed control cable trenching at terrace road crossing, including 3m x 5.5m x 0,15m concrete
Surface water drainage
- Excavated, supplied, installed and constructed 360m sub-soil drain.
- Excavated, supplied, installed and constructed 2 concrete headwalls.
- Excavated, supplied, installed and constructed 20m² ,15Mpa concrete filled Geocell lined gutters.
- Excavated, supplied, installed backfilled 160m, 150mm concrete drainage pipes on both sides of internal road.
- Excavated, supplied, installed and constructed 75m2 interlock paving around building.
Main Earth grid
- Installed 4580m, 10mm round copper earth grid.
- Installed 380m, 50mm x 3mm flat copper earth tails to main earth grid.
- Installed one, sacrificial anode.
- Tested main earth grid to true earth.
- Construct a 199m² Control/Switchgear Building.
- Install 90, Equipment Foundations, two Transformer bund walls and one Transformer oil holding dam & oil trap with a total of 460m3 25MPa Reinforced Concrete
Supplied and placed a total of 1040m³, 25mm Yard stone.
Supplied and installed 100tons of Galvanised Steelwork
Primary Equipment Installed
- Two 20MVA Transformers 20MVA 132/11 kV OLTC
- Five, 132 kV Circuit Breakers 3150A 40 kA 3P 110VDC 31mm/kV (ABB)
- 12, 132 kV Isolators 2500A 25kA H/O 31mm/kV
- 18, 132 kV Current Transformers 2500A 25kA 2P2M2B(1600/1) 31mm/kV
- Six, 132kV/110V 100/50VA 31mm/kV Voltage
- Two, S/CL 66 kV MCOV 48 kV 31mm/kV
- Six, S/CL 11 kV MCOV 12 kV 31mm/kV
- Two, VT 3PH 11 kV/110V 50VA CL 0.2 Panels
- Two, 11 kV 2500A 25kA TRFR Panels
- Six, 11 kV 800A 25kA FDR BKR Panels
- One, 11 kV 2500A 25kA B/Sect BKR Panel
Secondary Plant Installed
- One, 132 kV Bus zone protection panel
- One, 132 kV Bus zone Protection panel
- Two, Transformer Control/Protection panels
- Two, 132 kV Incomer Line Control/Protection panels
- Four, Statistical and Check Metering Panels.
- 11, Yard Junction Boxes.
Auxiliary Equipment Installed
- One, AC/DC panel and battery charger
- One, 52 Cell Battery Bank
- One, Remote Terminal Unit
- One, IDF
- One, BME Equipment and Patch Panel
Control Cabling Installation
- 5840m off, 4mm² x 4C Cu (BVX4ECV)
- 360m off, 25mm² x 4C Cu (BVX4KCV)
- 3940m off, 2.5mm² x 4C Cu (DVX4ECV)
- 4190m off, 2.5mm² x 12C Cu (DVX12ECV)
- 1670m off, 2.5mm² x 19C Cu (DVX19ECV)
- 1270m off, Tel TPH10AV 10PR Cable
Stringing and termination of AAC Conductor (Supply and Install)
- 800m off, “Bull” 1 x 800mm² Conductor
- 850m off, “Centipede” 1 x 400mm² Conductor
- 430m off, “Oak” Overhead Earth wire
- 80m off, “Hornet” 1 x 160mm² AAC Conductor.
Fencing Supply and Install
- 440m off, 2.4m High Palisade Fencing with anti-burrowing kerbing around perimeter.
- One, 5m Motorised remote controlled sliding palisade gates
- 123m off, 2m High Internal yard diamond mesh fence
- One, 1.5m Diamond mesh Pedestrian gate
- Two, 5m Diamond mesh internal gates.
Protection Installed for
- 2 x132 kV Incoming feeders
- 132 kV Double Busbars
- 132 kV Bus Couplers
- 132/11 kV Transformers
- 11 kV Feeders
- 11 kV Bus Protection
- 11 kV Bus Section Controls
The auxiliary supply was obtained from the two 11 kV NECRT’s and a dual control yard AC distribution board with
chop-over functionality was installed.
Supervisory and Telecoms (SCADA)
A SCADA Harris D20 RTU and IDF were installed. For the telecoms an optical fibre network was installed with a